Monday, June 2, 2008

The Sound of Sacred

This morning I did a meditation while listening to a recording by Tibetan monks. They are chanting the word OM, but that simple statement in no way describes what these monks are creating. What they produce is a multi-level, multi-hued, multi-toned symphony using only the word OM as their instrument.

What entered my ears and reverberated through my soul was the sound of life itself; an intimation of all beginnings and all endings. I felt I was listening to the truest sound I will ever hear.

Someone once told me that these monks dedicate their entire life to learning how to sing the word OM in multiple chords simultaneously. When I hear the results of their training, I know exactly why they spent so many years learning this high art. They are chanting Godspeak.

Normally our view of life comes from being perched atop a handful of strands in the great carpet of human life. Listening to the sounds of these monks takes me further: it is like sitting in the lap of the Weaver.

1 comment:

oscadilla said...

i would like to take this opportunity to share how healing the movie soul masters was for me. it was truly moving and hopeful. i recommend it. it´s life changing. it´s a must see.
oscar